Saturday 7 May 2011

Contemplation

Ever since I can remember, I've had this affinity with the Ocean. Growing up in social care on the south coast of the UK back in the day I would often, in times of strife, leg it down to the shores and sit by, walk along, stare at or even talk to the 'watery lady'. I always seemed to find my solace there. The sounds of the frigid southern English waves washing along the Dorset coastline would help me to deal with my demons of the moment, the cool sea breezes dancing around the *goosebumps they formed.

And so it has always been. Even though I took quite a hiatus during my 12 year military stint, part of that was also spent close to the Ocean, the Red Sea in fact during a posting to Djibouti in the Horn of Africa, I always came back to the Ocean. My departure from the military saw that affinity rekindled. Living in places such as the Canary Islands, Micronesia, Palau and now Indonesia where in each location it's been pretty much impossible to not see the Ocean everyday.

This past week has been a roller coaster of a ride, hitting some high points as well as some pretty lows, but this is normal for everyone I guess. Life can't be always on the up, there has to be a balance. Much like the surfer in the recently snapped image above, taken during the first rounds of the Oakley Pro 2011 on the Canggu Beach here in Bali, one can use the Ocean for inspiration, as a medium for relaxation. I'm wondering what this guy was thinking at this moment? Looking for peace, emptying his mind to concentrate on the task at hand, looking for an answer to a personal issue? Who knows? One thing that is certain though, the draw of the Ocean is strong in all of us. It affords us the opportunity to think, free of the clutter, noise and dirt that otherwise surrounds us on a daily basis.

When did you last stroll along it's shores?

Cheers,
Mark
liquidmocean

*Goosebumps being the term used in the UK, and maybe elsewhere, for the effect of cold on exposed skin, also 'Chicken Skin' is an oft quoted term.

3 comments:

  1. I agree! I have often found my spiritual balance and life focus by observing the ocean. It helps you know there is really something bigger than you out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both for your warm and welcomed feedback. The Ocean truly is an inspiration, it's great to know there are others out there with the same understanding.

    Cheers,
    Mark.

    ReplyDelete

This is a posting from the ramblings of a waterlogged mind that is the liquidmocean Blog. Reflections from setting up and running a small brand business, dealing with professional and personal life in Indonesia mixed with the added adrenalin of surf photography. Feel free to leave comments, much appreciate the feedback. Cheers, Mark.