Friday 20 May 2011

'Vanishing Point'

The small wall of water building in front of me was shaping up to be one of the bigger waves of the morning. As I was also shooting on a beach break where the sand rose up at an incline from the shoreline meant there was the potential for what is called backwash, the energy transference of water from waves already broken on the beach encountering those still to break. This can give rise to some pretty spectacular affects on the lip of the wave, the part that hits first! I could normally get a feel for the backwash as I would be facing out to sea watching for the incoming and then feel the water rise up from behind, from the shore side, this would be my cue to check any waves on the point of breaking. I was stood right at that meeting point. Standing right on that knife edge interface between artistic aesthetic and pain.

I'd been in the water with my buddy for about an hour when I saw this one coming it was shaping up in every way to be a very nice way, albeit from the direction that meant it would be an empty wave shot. My 'model' was just too far away from the approaching wave so I just hunkered down to wait and see what developed with this one. Forming nicely I was on the verge of snapping when I felt the telltale backwash make it's presence known, the water rose around to my mid section and met the incoming wave head on. Where you can see the intended lip of the wave you can also see the effect of backwash in that outreaching fan of spray. This in itself is a 1/640th of a second in time. The following 10 seconds were a maelstrom of darkness, of rushing water, of immense pressure, of body slamming into sand madness, but it was worth it.

I guess the same is with this roller coaster of a ride we call life. For every positive there is a payoff. A necessity in order to get to the 'cool beans' elements we each enjoy with our respective goals and hobbies. This moment for me can only be used as a mere introduction of the beauty the Ocean holds. My fascination with it's water characteristics, the infinite formations of its moods is something that enthralls me, drives me on to continue in my discovery of its unbridled winsomeness.

This image was shot with a Canon EOS500D fitted with a Canon 10-22mm f3.5/4.5 EF S lens all stuffed into a Liquid Eye Housing.

Cheers,
Mark
liquidmocean

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a posting from the ramblings of a waterlogged mind that is the liquidmocean Blog. Reflections from setting up and running a small brand business, dealing with professional and personal life in Indonesia mixed with the added adrenalin of surf photography. Feel free to leave comments, much appreciate the feedback. Cheers, Mark.